Brent is a Vice President of Wealth Management with GCG Financial, having been a member of the firm since 1995. He has been serving clients, their families and their businesses since 1989 with a particular knowledge and focus on the accumulation and preservation of assets along with risk management. Brent meets his clients’ financial needs through the use of the extensive resources and professionals at GCG, as well as through trusted outside advisor offices.
Brent received his Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated with honors with a concentration in entrepreneurial management. He received his Chartered Financial Consultant® (ChFC®) designation in 1999.
Brent played seven seasons in the NFL. He was with the Chicago Bears in 1988 and the Minnesota Vikings from 1989-1994. In a career that included over 100 special teams tackles, Brent retired after a serious neck injury. He is a member of the Chicago Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.
Active in many charities and organizations, Brent serves as the President for the NFL Players Association Former Players Chicago Chapter. He is also the Treasurer of B’nai B’rith Sports Lodge and the Chair for their scholarship program.
Brent and his wife Andrea live in the northwest suburbs with their three children, Alec, Zachary, and Mackenzie. Brent is a brown belt in Taekwondo, enjoys softball and family time, and is an avid, bad golfer.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Brent shares his career journey and how he came to work at GCG Financial, and how his career took an unexpected turn thanks to an injury and chance encounter
- How Brent’s time with the Minnesota Vikings came to an end after a career-ending neck injury, and how he discovered a new purpose after his NFL career
- How Brent transitioned from professional football to a career in the business world by using internships to learn what he didn’t want to do
- How the competitive lessons Brent learned on the football field helped him approach the business world with the right mindset
- Why Brent believes the most important skill he has picked up is networking and the ability to connect people with others who can help them with their needs
- How Brent’s mindset and attitude allowed him to succeed in football, and how he worked to make himself valuable enough that the coaches couldn’t cut him
- How GCG Financial works to bring in the right people who fit the culture, and how it helps to add companies who already have a strong culture
- How Brent has found LinkedIn to be a powerful and useful networking tool, and why personalizing your outreach is the key to successful interactions on LinkedIn
- Why Brent believes that the important thing people need to do to find success in business is to take action and keep doing the things that work for them