David Covey is the third son of Stephen R. Covey, author of the groundbreaking book, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.” David was the chief operating officer of FranklinCovey. He then left FranklinCovey to start his own company, now called SMCOV. SMCOV works with the best intellectual property content experts on the planet and helps distributes their content globally through licensees. David loves working with impactful IP and setting up distribution systems around the globe.
David is a co-author, along with his business partner Stephan Mardyks, of the book “Trap Tales: Outsmarting the 7 Hidden Obstacles to Success.” We will dive into the most common traps that we fall into, how we can recognize them as well as innovative ways to get out of those traps.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- The childhood lessons David Covey learned growing up as the son of Stephen R. Covey, author of “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”
- How David’s father served as his mentor and inspiration when David made the decision to become an entrepreneur
- Which of the 7 Habits David’s father believed was the most important, and why David agrees on its significance
- The 7 most common traps people fall into when seeking success, and how to spot and avoid them
- Why it’s important to learn to say no, sometimes even to great ideas, to be able to focus on the things that matter
- How procrastination causes stagnation, and why it’s important to break from your comfort zone
- Why our fear of making mistakes prevents us from experimenting, innovating, and taking risks
- How to understand, recognize and adapt to your emotional triggers to allow you to see new perspectives
- Why working together as a team to achieve the same vision is crucial for success
- Keeping your passion and inspiration in your work and refusing to settle
- How to widen your focus beyond financials to appreciate what matters the most
Ways to contact David: