Patrick Murphy was named the Director of Athletics and Recreation at Marywood University in September 2019. Murphy became the Pacers’ first new Athletics Director in 28 years. For the 2020-21 academic year, Murphy will serve on the Atlantic East Conference Athletic Director Executive Committee as Vice-Chair.
Pat came to Marywood with 25 years of athletics experience at the NCAA Division I level. Most recently, he spent 18 years as an associate athletics director at Fairfield University in Connecticut.
Prior to that Pat was the Director of Athletic Business and Financial Affairs at DePaul University in Chicago from 1997-2001. He served as Associate Director of Athletics at Iona College in New Rochelle, New York between 1993 and 1997. Murphy began his athletics administration career in 1991 as the Director of Athletics for Marketing and Development for the University of Maryland Eastern Shore in Princess Anne, Maryland
Throughout his career, Murphy developed a winning bid and proposal to host 12 NCAA Championships events. He served as the tournament director for men’s basketball, women’s basketball and men’s ice hockey regionals. Murphy was the tournament director for the 2014 NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Frozen Four in Philadelphia.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- What has been the keys to communicating with his coaches and athletes during the pandemic
- Why has it proven so critical to embrace their current situation and to be very conscious of delivering all communication to their athletes in a positive way
- How the coaches and administrators at Marywood University have created the best sense of normalcy in an abnormal situation
- What the three keys to a successful career in the athletics administration industry (any industry for that matter) are according to one of his valued mentors
- How he got his start in the industry
- How saving a rejection letter landed him a significant job years later
- Why he views his ultimate responsibility as developing the people around him and what that looks like
Facebook Profile: pmurphy
Twitter Name: prmurphy
Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pat-r-murphy22/
Huge fan of Ed, Huge fan of the Molitor Group, and Lifelong mega fan of Pat Murphy! You guys both did a fantastic job and not only provided valuable and informative content, but provided a great study on Pat, and created a reference I’m sure we will go back time and time again to reference – Thank you!